Extended submission deadline: Midnight Friday 16th of February, 2018
Call for Papers
The purpose of the WEPIR 2018 workshop is to bring together researchers from different backgrounds, interested in advancing the evaluation of personalisation in information retrieval. The workshop focus is on the development of a common understanding of the challenges, requirements and practical limitations of meaningful evaluation of personalisation in information retrieval. The planned outcome of the workshop is the proposal of methodologies to support evaluation of personalised information retrieval from both the perspectives of the user experience in interactive search settings, and of user models for personalised information retrieval and their algorithmic incorporation in the search process.
Since the focus of the workshop is primarily on exchange of ideas and development of new research activities, only short paper contributions will be sought in the form of 2 to 4 page papers in the standard ACM conference format.
Topics for contributions include but not be limited to:
- Task design for evaluation of personalised information retrieval.
- Test collections for personalised information retrieval.
- Evaluation metrics for peronsalised information retrieval.
- Protocols for evaluation of interactive personalised information retrieval.
- User modeling for personalised information retrieval.
- Search algorithms for personalised information retrieval
Submitted contributions will be selected for inclusion in the workshop on the basis of reviews by the programme committee.
The topic of evaluation of the incorporation of personalisation within search applications and algorithms and their impact on user engagement and experience of search is currently underexplored within the information retrieval community. This is particularly the case from the perspective of comparative evaluation of interactive and algorithmic elements of personalised search systems, and the representation and exploitation of user models. To reflect this, the workshop will focus on establishing and exploring the principles working towards the outcome of a proposed framework.
The workshop will have the following elements:
- Invited talks: focusing on user-centered interactive issues, and on evaluation of the algorithmic component of search.
- Presentations of papers submitted in response to an open call for research and position papers. Papers will be presented as short oral and poster format. The number of oral presentations will be limited to allow for the maximum of time for interactive activities, with other papers being presented as posters.
- Working groups focusing on relevant topics for the evaluation of personalised information retrieval, including experimental protocols, test collection development, evaluation metrics.
- Consolidation session: integration of the activities of the working groups, and proposal of agreed framework or frameworks for the evaluation of personalised information retrieval
The workshop is accepting short papers from 2 to 4 pages (including references) describing approaches or ideas/challenges on the topics of the workshop. Submissions don't need to be anonymized
Submissions should be in ACM Standard SIGCONF format. LaTeX and Word templates are available at (http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template).
Papers should be submitted in pdf format through the EasyChair system (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wepir2018) no later than midnight Sunday 11th of February, 2018 (AoE). Submissions will be reviewed by members of the workshop program committee. Accepted papers will be included in the extended CHIIR 2018 Proceedings and will be available via the ACM Digital Library. In addition, the WEPIR workshop proceedings will be indexed with CEUR. Authors of select papers may be invited to contribute to a journal publication which describes the outcomes of the workshop.
Important Dates :
Anywhere on Earth Time Zone
Midnight Friday 16th of February 2018: Deadline for paper submission
Midnight Sunday 11th of February 2018: Deadline for paper submission
Midnight Thursday 22nd of February 2018: Notification to authors
Midnight Thursday 1st of March 2018: Camera-ready paper due
Midnight Thursday, 15th of March 2018: WEPIR Workshop at CHIIR
Further information is available by emailing the workshop organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gareth J. F. Jones, ADAPT Centre, Dublin City University, Ireland
Nicholas J. Belkin, Rutgers University, USA
Séamus Lawless, ADAPT Centre, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Gabriella Pasi, University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy